The Northern Water Works Development Agency (NWWDA) was earlier established as Northern Water Services Boards through a Kenya Gazette Notice No. 1716 dated 12th March 2004 as a State Corporation under the State Corporations Act and the Water Act 2002. The water Act 2016 was enacted and the Northern Water Services Board, was gazetted as Northern Water Works Development Agency vide special issue of Kenya Gazette No. 28 dated 26th April 2019.
Northern Water Works Development Agency covers an area of 244,860 Km2 (about 43% of Kenya) with a population of approximately 4.05 million people and approximately 70% of livestock population in Kenya. The Agency is responsible for the development, maintenance and management of water and sewerage infrastructure in 7 counties namely:-Garissa, wajir, Mandera, Isiolo, Laikipia, Samburu and Marsabit.
Mandate and Functions of NWWDA
The Agency is responsible for the development, maintenance and management of water and sewerage infrastructure in 7 counties namely:-Garissa, wajir, Mandera, Isiolo, Laikipia, Samburu and Marsabit.
The powers and functions of NWWDA as provided for in the Water Act, 2016 under Section 68 shall be to:-
- Undertake the development, maintenance and management of the national public water works within its area of jurisdiction
- Operate the waterworks and provide water services as a water service provider, until such a time as responsibility for the operation and management of the waterworks are handed over to a county government, joint committee, authority of county governments or water services provider within whose area of jurisdiction or supply the waterworks is located
- Provide reserve capacity for purposes of providing water services where pursuant to section 103, the Regulatory Board orders the transfer of water services functions from a defaulting water services provider to another licensee
- Provide technical services and capacity building to such county governments and water services providers within its area as may be requested; and
- Provide to the Cabinet Secretary technical support in the discharge of his or her functions under the Constitution and this Act.